How To Make Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
Aright grab those ingredients, and lets make this chocolatey banana bread recipe!
If reading about this easy recipe isnt good enough, check out how easy it is to make:
Keep Those Old Bananas
Use very ripe bananas, i.e. mushy bananas. You can tell a mushy banana by the color of the peel it should be browned or browning significantly and should feel soft when squeezed between your fingertips and will be very easy to mash with a fork. Mash bananas until they are a chunky applesauce consistency. Some texture is good in banana bread!
How To Cut Banana Bread
If you’ve ever been frustrated by trying to cut brownies or blondies too early, you know they can break apart and crumble when cut too soon – they need time to cool and set for perfect squares.
This banana bread is a richer, more brownie-like version, making it a bit more dense and extra moist – which is completely crave-worthy, but can make getting a clean cut a bit tricky hot out of the oven.
- Let banana bread cool completely before removing from pan.
- Slide a knife around the side of the bread when still hot to make removing from the pan easier.
- When banana bread has set and cooled, slice into 12 bars.
Don’t Miss: Angelic Bakehouse Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
Everyones Favorite Banana Bread
I guarantee your family and friends will fall in love with this chocolate chip banana bread after one bite. One bite is all it takes. The buttery, rich banana bread is soft, moist, and filled with melty chocolate chips! The banana/chocolate ratio is perfect and you will love the sugary top! Warning, you will probably want to bake a loaf every single weekor day so make sure you stock up on bananas. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This recipe for chocolate chip banana bread is quite possibly the best banana bread in the world. SERIOUSLY! Its so easy to make in one bowl and bakes up super moist with the best texture. A classic banana bread recipe thats filled with decadent chocolate chips yes, please! Its the perfect brunch, snack or dessert option and can be frozen for later enjoyment.
Banana bread is one of my favorite foods ever. I could probably live off of it. Haha! That might be a little extreme, but seriously its just so good. I have a couple of healthier banana bread recipes you can find here. But this more traditional banana bread is officially my favorite recipe yet, and it will probably be the only one Ill ever make again. Even Brad told me its the best one hes ever had.
I know theres about a thousand chocolate chip banana bread recipes all over the internet, but this is a foolproof recipe for the best, most moist, incredibly delicious banana bread you will ever find. Truly a must try quick bread recipe youre sure to love!
Nuts Or Chocolate Chips
My children cant stand nuts so we add in semi-sweet chocolate chips to our banana bread, but you can add in the following to make it your own!
Chopped pecansWhite chocolate chipsCaramel bits
You can also add a cinnamon sugar coating on top of your loaf and leave out the chocolate chips or nuts if you wish.
Once the cake batter is poured and spread into your loaf pan, sprinkle evenly with a cinnamon sugar mixture: 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. The result is a crunchy, flavourful top with a decadent bakery-style finish.
Tips And Tricks For This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Measure your flour properly. This is key in all baking recipes. Make sure that you scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off. If you scoop right from the flour container you will get too much and you will have a chocolate chip banana bread recipe fail.
- Make sure that your melted butter has cooled. If you dont do that, you run the risk of your eggs starting to cook when they get mixed with the hot butter. No one wants that.
- Use baking soda that is still good. Baking soda needs to be switched out every six months or so. Test it by adding a little to some vinegar. It should bubble immediately, if not replace it.
- If you want the top to have a really appealing look, throw a couple extra chocolate chips on before putting it in the oven.
- Test the bread with a toothpick towards the end. Do not insert it directly in the middle of the bread, but slightly off to the side. You want the toothpick to come out clean. If you wait until the top comes out clean, you will risk the edges of the bread being dry. I would rather have a little bit of a gooey top than dry sides . My oven requires 55 minutes for perfect bread.
Vanilla Pudding Banana Bread
Vanilla Pudding Banana Breadbanana bread recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, mash four bananas with a spoon or fork.
- Add softened butter, vanilla pudding, brown sugar, and eggs. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9X5 loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let the bread cool completely before removing it from the pan. Slice & enjoy!
Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
This is one of my staple baking recipes that I make regularly. It tastes amazing and is so soft and fluffy. I also make classic banana bread, but lets be honestdoesnt everything taste better with chocolate chips? Yes indeed!
Today Ill be sharing the BEST chocolate chip banana bread! Ive tried quite a few recipes and have finally nailed down the perfect banana breadwhich of course involves chocolate chips. ) Its always requested by friends and family and is super soft, sweet and absolutely delicious!
You can leave out the chocolate chips, but in my opinion, they make the bread! Also, feel free to add in some chopped walnuts or pecans too. My family prefers the bread without them, so we stick to straight chocolate chips. And who can argue with that?! )
How To Freeze Banana Bread:
This recipe freezes great and I try to always freeze a few loaves. You can make a lot all at once and then freeze them.
Just wrap it in cling wrap and place in a freezer bag. Allow it to thaw on the counter until you are ready to serve. Your family will never know it came out of the freezer.
You might want to double the recipe like we do so you can have one now and one for later. It really isnt any more work to make extra and you can stock your freezer.
When I make a double batch, I like to make one loaf and then use the rest of the batter to make medium or mini loaves. We eat the large loaf straight away and then freeze the smaller loaves for later. Everyone loves getting to enjoy some now and later!
The mini loaves are also really cute gifts to hand out to neighbors, friends and more. It is the perfect size and everyone loves these.
How To Make Banana Bread
In this recipe, we use 2 different kinds of sugar to yield the best results: brown sugar and white sugar. The brown sugar makes for a soft banana bread that you will no doubt fall in love with.
In a few steps: you have moist banana breast in no time:
WHISK together dry ingredients.MASH the bananas really well.ADD the wet ingredients.FOLD in half of the chocolate chips or nuts.BAKE!
Can This Bread Be Made Ahead Of Time
Yes! This bread will keep covered at room temperature on the counter for up to 3 days. You can store the bread in the refrigerator for longer, up to 7 days. If you want to enjoy the refrigerated bread warm, you can heat it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds or in a toaster oven for a short time.
What Is Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
One day, some brilliant mind looked at their unappetizing brown bananas on their counter and thought, I can make bread with this.
Sometime later, another genius was eating banana bread and thought, You know what would make this perfect loaf even better? If I threw some chocolate in with it.
The rest is history.
Ingredients For Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- All purpose flour regular unbleached all-purpose flour works great for a moist banana bread. Do not pack it down when measuring or use a scale to get the right amount
- Unsalted butter butter brings the flavour! However, you can also use any neutral tasting oil.
- Brown sugar light or dark brown sugar works great in this recipe. It adds a lovely hint of molasses flavour and also keeps it extra moist.
- Dark chocolate chips I love using mini dark chocolate chips in my muffins, but you can use regular if thats all you can find. Semi-sweet works great.
My Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Uses A Secret Method
Before you start yawning at yet ANOTHER banana bread recipe, please, please give me a chance to explain. I mean I get it, youre probably wondering why mine is the best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread? You have your Grannys recipe that is the best. Or youve made my Toasted Coconut Banana Bread and dont think you need to look any further. But I am not one to leave well enough aloneyou know that about me by now. Ive even claimed to make the BEST Banana Muffinswhich, btw are totally THE BEST.
But I will tell you I have officially cracked the banana bread code here. This chocolate chip banana bread that I am sharing with you today is EVERYTHING.
How To Make The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
You can use either a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer or even whisk this together by hand with a little extra effort.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in mixing bowl
- Add 2 lightly beaten eggs
- Mash bananas with a fork and add them to the bowl
- Whisk together dry ingredients and add to batter
- Fold in 3/4 of chocolate chips and transfer to the prepared bread pan
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 chocolate chips and bake
The chocolate banana bread batter should be thick and have small lumps of banana.
Its marvelous how the chocolate chips stay gooey and moist long after the bread comes out of the oven.
Why Does My Banana Bread Fall In The Middle
If you find that your banana bread sinks in the middle as it cools, it’s likely because the bread was not completely cooked through. Banana bread forms a nice, dark crust on the outside that makes the loaf look “done” — even if the inside is still slightly raw. Before removing the bread from the oven, insert a toothpick deep into the very center of the loaf. If it comes out with any wet batter on it, return the bread to the oven to finish baking.
What Type Of Vanilla Pudding To Use In Vanilla Pudding Banana Bread
You need to use prepared vanilla pudding in this recipe. I usually just whip up a batch of instant vanilla pudding from a box it only takes a few minutes. If you have more time, you could try our favorite recipe for Homemade Vanilla Pudding. The fastest method would be to use pre-made pudding cups!
What Can I Add To Banana Bread
There are so many fun ways to jazz up banana bread! Here are a few ideas:
Mix 1/4 cup peanut butter into the batter and add chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups.
Mix in toffee bits. The toffee will melt during baking and leave sweet little spots of caramel.
Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar over the batter and then pour the rest of the batter on top. This will create a delicious cinnamon swirl.
Glaze! Add a peanut butter glaze or a chocolate glaze or a maple glaze. It’s amazing how a simple glaze can change a loaf of bread into a beautiful loaf cake!
Add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract, 1/2 teaspoon of butter extract, and 1/2 cup of sprinkles to make funfetti bread!
The Secret To Super Moist Banana Bread
The secret to getting moist chocolate chip banana bread is really just a couple simple ingredients. The main two being melted butter and Greek yogurt.
Using melted butter, as opposed to room temperature, helps to soaks up all the flour which gives you that smooth texture. The Greek yogurt adds even MORE moisture while still providing structure. Its my secret ingredient in so many of my dessert recipes.
Another reason why Greek yogurt works so well here is because its flavor. Greek yogurt is slightly sour which helps to balance out the sweetness of the bananas, chocolate, and sugar.
Its also very thick and contains less water than regular yogurt. This is the reason why I love baking with it so much, it provides tons of moisture without thinning the batter too much.
But if you dont have Greek yogurt available near you, sour cream will also do the trick.
We cant forget about the bananas. You have to add just enough to get that strong flavor but too much can turn your banana bread into banana pudding . Getting the perfect balance of flour, butter, yogurt and banana is the key to getting deliciously moist chocolate chip banana bread.
Why Is This The Best Banana Bread
Let me explain why this is the last banana bread recipe youll ever need. First off, its outrageously moist . This recipe has butter as well as sour cream, which not only make it unbelievably soft, they also give great flavor, as opposed to a lot of banana bread recipes that are made with oil. Of course I use walnuts in this recipe, that you can omit if you must, but I urge you not to, at least the first time you make this recipe.
BUT the real secret to this recipe on supreme moistness and banana flavor iswait for itSLICED BANANAS. You add some mashed and some thinly sliced. Is your mind blown yet?
Adding the sliced bananas into the bread leaves little pockets of banana that you wouldnt normally have when its mashed. Not enough that it is mushy, that wouldnt be good just the exact perfect thing your banana bread has been missing all along. Im telling you, this is legit.
How To Make This Banana Bread
This bread is a riff on Elises classic Banana Bread with just a few adjustments to accommodate the peanut butter.
I use a creamy, commercial brand of peanut butter here. I dont usually bake with natural peanut butter because it tends to take a little more finessing to incorporate. I beat the peanut butter a bit before mixing it into the batter, just like you often do with cream cheese. I want it to soften and smooth out so it will incorporate more easily.
You could use chunky, but I prefer creamy. It shouldnt cause any issues if you were to substitute one for the other.
Since peanut butter can weigh down a batter, I also added some milk to the recipe to keep the loaf from being too heavy.
You can use mini or regular chocolate chips here, or even chopped bar chocolate. Its really your preference. If you do use bar chocolate, just know it will melt more readily than chips . I avoid topping the batter with bar chocolate, because it can melt off and burn as it bakes. Just add some to the top when it comes out of the oven.
Why You Will Love This Banana Bread Recipe
- Easy to make this recipe is a cinch to prepare! You dont need a mixer and can make it in one bowl with a whisk or a spatula.
- Super moist banana bread the loaf is SUPER moist and stays moist for days in an airtight container.
- Not too sweet the bananas are sweet enough that you dont need a lot of sugar to keep this cake moist.
- Light on the fat it doesnt use a ton of fat
- Chocolate chip banana bread there are plenty of mini chocolate chips so you get a hit of dark chocolate in every bite!
How To Store Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
If you plan on eating the best chocolate chip banana bread quickly then it can be kept at room temperature. All you need to do is wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or between paper towels and store in an airtight container. Using this method the paper towels will absorb any extra liquid and the bread will keep on the counter for about 4 days.
If you want the chocolate chip banana bread to last a bit longer you can store it in the fridge. wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or between paper towels and store in an airtight container. Fresh made Banana bread will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.