How To Store Cornbread
Once your cornbread has cooled, wrap it in some plastic wrap or place it in a resealable plastic bag. It can be stored in your kitchen for 2 to 3 days. Cornbread will last for up to a week in the fridge.
To freeze cornbread, wrap it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. It will be good in your freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and serve.
To reheat cornbread, simply warm it in the oven for a couple of minutes. You can also microwave it for about 30 seconds.
Easy Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
Published: · · About 5 minutes to read this article.
Easy Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe – the best easy soft and moist cornbread that is crazy delicious and never tastes dry. Sour cream cornbread is smooth, full of flavor, and goes great at a picnic or BBQ with your favorite summer dishes!
Helpful Tips For Cornbread
- Mix by hand. You can easily over beat cornbread. So, if there are some lumps, thats perfectly fine because they will smooth out when it cooks.
- If you love crusty cornbread, cook it in a cast iron skillet or a dark pan and the cornbread will get crusty as it cooks.
- You can start with a hot skillet, add the butter and let it sizzle, and pour in the cornbread. You will end up with a nice crispy crust.
- Dont be afraid to experiment with cornbread. You can make a variety of dishes with the recipe, so try something new. Add some jalapeño, cheese, crumbled bacon, red pepper flakes, or your favorite seasoning.
Read Also: 45 Calorie Bread Sara Lee
Whats In This Jalapeo Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
- Jalapenos and Corn I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and fromMisfits Market they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and its purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get$10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive think again, and giveMisfits Market a look!
- Sunflower Oil: our go-to oil for roasting or baking! Sunflower is a high oleic oil, so its the best oil to use for high temperatures.
- Sour Cream the base of this bread, this sour cream gives it a silky and fluffy texture.
- 2 large eggs
- Yellow Corn Meal: I like thismedium corn meal, I always keep some in my pantry. Its great for corn breads like this, and also adding texture to pizza crusts
- All Purpose Flour: I normally use King Arthur organic all purpose flour for all my recipes, I love the consistency and texture of the crumb this flour produces. If you are gluten free, then a gluten free flour would be a nice substitute in this dish. If you want to keep it a little wholesome, you can use half whole wheat flour as well.
- Granulated Sugar: I like this organic sugarfor my recipes, Id recommendAnthonys organic sugar for cooking and baking.
- Baking Powder: I like this low sodium baking powder which is great for keeping the sodium down in baked goods.
What Can I Do To Make Jiffy Cornbread More Moist
Posted on Last updated:
This is a super simple recipe that people love and want to make over and over again.
The cornbread recipe is a hit at picnics, holidays, and any mealtime and goes along great with any main dish.
Also Check: Best Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
This recipe uses self-rising cornmeal. Self-rising cornmeal is great for making a batch of cornbread at home. Martha White and Aunt Jemima are two great brands to purchase.
If you dont have self-rising cornmeal, you can easily make it with a few simple ingredients. To make 1 cup of self-rising cornmeal, combine 1 cup cornmeal, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Use it right away or store it in an air-tight container until you need it.
For a nonfat cornbread, substitute plain fat-free yogurt for the sour cream.
For gluten-free cornbread, use gluten-free cornmeal.
Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup fullfat sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole corn kernels
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease a baking pansuch as an 8-inch-by-8-inch casserole dish or cast-iron skilletwith additional butter, vegetable oil, or a cooking spray. Set that aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Read Also: Angelic Bakehouse Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
Cornbread With Cream Style Corn
A box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in the pantry offers so many mealtime possibilities! From a main dish casserole to a holiday-worthy side dish or a pan of the most decadent cornbread with creamed corn, this little old-fashioned box can do it all! With about 10 minutes of prep, you can stir together the batter for this easy recipe, which is sweeter, fluffier, and more cake-like than most homemade cornbread.
Secret Ingredient = Sour Cream
I have always loved cornbread!
Its the perfect side to support a hearty bowl of my favorite chili. But to be honest, I never make it from scratch! Maybe I thought it would be too difficult, or it was always just easier to buy the box of mix, but its just something Ive never really done.
My kids and I religiously watch Trisha Yearwoods cooking show on Food Network and last month she made her grandmas Skillet Sour Cream Cornbread recipe. It looked and sounded so amazing that I had to try it out for myself.
I took her recipe, and updated it to fit what I had in my kitchen, and this beautiful pan of awesomeness was the result.
The sour cream and the creamed corn give this cornbread a dense, creamy texture. Its hearty enough to stand up to soups and chilis, and also makes a great side for holiday dinners. It will have your family begging for seconds and thirds, so you might want to make a second batch!
Also Check: Is Brown Bread Keto Friendly
Sour Cream Cornbread With Jalapeo Recipe
Jalapeño Sour Cream Cornbread recipe is light, fluffy, and ready in 30 minutes. A great vegetarian side dish to eat with chili or stew, or just enjoy with a little honey and butter for breakfast. Its a little sweet, a little spicy, and totally delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. As anI may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!
Ill be honest I usually use the Jiffy cornbread mix when making corn bread but decided to have a little fun and try making my own. The result? A totally rich, creamy, and perfect textured cornbread that blew the box mix out of the water!
This sweet & spicy cornbread is ready from start to finish in just 30 minutes. Its super simple to whip up if you need a last-minute side dish that the family will love. Its also a great recipe to use up sour cream if you have extra in the fridge.
How Long Does Cornbread Last For
Cornbread lasts for several days at room temperature in an airtight container. You can also store it in the fridge for a week or in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for several months.
You May Like: Hills Science Diet Large Breed Puppy
Tips For The Best Cornbread Recipe With Creamed Corn
- Room temperature ingredients blend more smoothly and easily than cold ingredients.
- Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before baking, if you have the time. This allows the baking powder or other leavening agents to activate and incorporate more air.
- Dont over-mix the batter or it will become tough and dense.
- The total baking time will vary depending on the type of pan that you use, and on your individual oven. To check if the cornbread is done, insert a toothpick into the center and make sure it comes out clean.
- If the top of the cornbread starts to get too dark before it’s done baking, cover loosely with foil.
- Use full-fat sour cream. It adds a subtle tangy flavor, it keeps the muffins moist, and it yields a tender crumb.
How To Make Sour Cream Corn Bread
Ive seen many other recipes for Sour Cream Corn Bread, but most of them use a corn bread mix. This one skips the mix in favor of more of a from-scratch approach. Even with taking the homemade route, this is an amazingly simple recipe. You just need one bowl for mixing, a mixing spoon, and a cast iron skillet for baking.
Prepare for baking. Heat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet. I like to use butter to grease the pan to add a little buttery flavor. If your skillet is well-used and maintained with oil, you may not need to grease it. If you dont have a cast iron skillet, try making this corn bread in a 10-inch round or 9-inch square metal baking pan. You may need a slightly longer baking time.
Combine the dry ingredients. Mix the corn meal, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Add the wet ingredients. To the mixed dry ingredients, add the eggs, oil, sour cream, and corn. Stir just until combined.
Bake the corn bread. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Youll know its done when the bread is browned and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Read Also: Gluten Free Bread San Francisco
Is This A Sweet Jiffy Cornbread Recipe Or Savory
Nothing lets me down more than biting into cornbread and finding out it’s not sweet. I am a sweet cornbread lover through and through and every time I am in the States I taste my way through every cornbread in every restaurant. I’ve learned that I always have to ask if it’s a sweet one, as it’s really a 50/50 shot no matter where you go.
The basic Jiffy mix is not sweet in the slightest for me. I like my cornbread pretty sweet, so I added sugar to this recipe and found that it made it absolutely perfect. I’d also add that you really do need to foil that sour cream with something sweet, so even if you don’t like a sweeter cornbread it wouldn’t hurt to add a teaspoon or two of sugar.
But for those of you that have one in your pantry, this is the BEST recipe to jazz up that mix! I had my parents bring me home a few boxes last fall from their trip to the States, as this has been on my list to make forever, and I kept forgetting to pick some up whenever I traveled. And, well, now no one is going anywhere as we are all hunkered down in our homes.
Make Ahead Cornbread Recipes
This sour cream cornbread is a fantastic and simple recipe to make ahead. Great for a busy weeknight, for entertaining, or just for those nights when you dont feel like cooking. I like to prep one a pan of these ahead of time, and refrigerate some for later. Having ready cooked side dishes in the fridge or freezer is a great way to enjoy home cooked recipes when you dont have time in the kitchen. Check out all my make ahead meals on The Herbeevore for some inspo to help you prep, keep, heat, and heat!
Read Also: How To Find Out What Breed My Cat Is
To Make This Easy Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe You’ll Need:
This sour cream cornbread recipe is one of my all time favorites because you don’t need much to make this an out-of-the-park delicious BBQ side dish.
While the following aren’t absolutely necessary, they are my favorites to make easy, quick cornbread – and are some of my all-around kitchen must haves that are useful in a ton of different dishes!
How To Make Sour Cream Cornbread:
- Total Time:35 minutes
My Favorite Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
When I was a kid, my mom made Jiffy cornbread from that fun little blue box. Her secret touch was to add a little sour cream to the mix to make it more moist and a little thicker than how it normally cooks.
I’ve taken a page from her book and am sharing a great recipe for sour cream cornbread. The sour cream in the cornbread recipe replaces part of the oil and helps to make the cornbread a bit thicker and denser than traditional cornbread. It makes a great cornbread that is sweet and moist, but doesn’t fall apart. I love this recipe to serve alongside chili, and it’s a great one if you are going to make tamale pie. It’s also perfect for buttering up with lots of honey butter.
Best part of this recipe? It only takes 5 minutes to stir together and another 20 minutes to bake. That means in less than a half hour, you can have a hot bread side dish on the table. Its so quick and easy! I love to have cornbread ready when I make things like soups and chilis. It rounds out the meal and its a good option for kids who dont love what you made .
Sour Cream Corn Bread Paired Perfectly With The Chili I Made For Dinner The Other Night The Sour Cream In The Recipe Makes It Very Moist And Tender
Crumbly, dry cornbread needs a stick of butter melted on it just to be able to eat it. Not so with this corn bread recipe, it was light and moist. I love that, the only thing I like dry is my laundry when its hanging on the line. I loved the cornbread so much Id like to make it for breakfast, I think it would go extremely well warm from the oven with bacon and eggs. You know, I dont think theres a limit to what you could pair this corn bread recipe with, its just that good. Lets gather the ingredients for Sour Cream Corn Bread and make it together.
Easy Tips For Success
So easy, right? It really does come together in a snap. Here are a few more tips and tricks to read through before you start on this sweet sour cream cornbread:
- How to Know When Its Done Baking: When a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, youll know the cornbread is ready to be removed from the oven.
- Use Full-Fat Sour Cream: Reduced-fat sour cream will work in a pinch, but full-fat sour cream yields the best results.
- Can I Make Cornbread Muffins? Sure! The baking time will shorten a little , but you can definitely make muffins.
- Toppings for Cornbread: I like to enjoy my cornbread with some honey and butter.
What To Serve With Cornbread
- Homemade Ground Beef Chili This is a great recipe for those cold nights. Its easy to make and so full of flavor. You can make it spicy or keep it tame. Either way, its delish!
- Hamburger and Veggie Soup This is another great recipe for the wintertime. Its easy to make, hearty, and its a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
- Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Panera bread has some wonderful soups, and broccoli cheddar soup is a favorite. Give this recipe a try and save some money while you feed the entire family.
- Salmon Patties Salmon patties are a southern favorite, and they are perfect alongside cornbread. Its an inexpensive meal and your friends and family will love it.
- Cornbread and butter beans is another great combination of veggies and cornbread, and it makes dinner time a snap. Plus, its filling.
- If you love cornbread, give cornbread muffin sausage bites a try from Brandie over at The Country Cook.
- Crock Pot macaroni and cheese is another side dish that goes well with cornbread. Plus, the kids love it.
Why Sour Cream Makes This The Best Recipe For Cornbread
Sour cream gives regular cornbread a denser texture and a unique flavor. And, thats not all the creamed corn sends this recipe way over the top! You will never have eaten cornbread so moist! This will be your new favorite cornbread recipe. This moist sour cream cornbread recipe cant be improved onperiod!
This delicious cornbread with sour cream recipe will have your family begging for seconds and thirds, so you might want to make a second batch! This easy cornbread rounds out the meal, and its a good option for kids who dont love what youve made .