How To Make Banana And Zucchini Bread
Quick bread recipes like this banana zucchini bread are so convenient because they don’t require any fancy kitchen equipment — no electric or stand mixer, no food processor, and no sifter. Instead, just a whisk, a wooden spoon, and a couple of bowls will get the job done!
How To Make This Recipe
This banana bread recipe is super easy to whip up and only requires about 10 minutes of hands-on time. You only need one large bowl and a loaf pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. You can also grease with oil or butter, if preferred.
Heres a quick rundown of the process, but for full instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Pro tip: Loosely cover the chocolate banana bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes of baking to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown.
Banana Bread Flour Options
This recipe is flexible! Any of the following flours will work well. I love to use white whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flourthey offer all the whole wheat nutrients, without the characteristically nutty flavor.
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- White whole wheat flour
*To substitute oat flour, youll need to use 2 1/2 cups, for reasons elaborated in my guide to oat flour.
Want to make your banana bread with almond flour? You sure can, but its not a simple substitute, so follow my almond flour-based banana bread recipe instead.
Recommended Reading: Science Diet Perfect Weight Small Breed
Can The Healthy Banana Bread Recipe Be Vegan
As long as you use nondairy yogurt, the recipe is naturally vegan.
I often use my own vegan homemade Greek yogurt when I make this recipe, but it works fine with non-Greek plain yogurt as well.
Readers have successfully used coconutmilk yogurt, cashew yogurt, soy yogurt, and almondmilk yogurt. So feel free to use whatever type you wish.
You can even change up the flavor if you want. Try strawberry, peach, or even blueberry yogurt for a fun and subtle flavor twist.
Or if you dont have yogurt or prefer not to use it, just increase the banana to two cups and omit the yogurt completely.
If you still have leftover bananas after making the bread, try out one of these other healthy Banana Recipes.
Tips For The Best Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe
- Use very ripe bananas for maximum flavor and sweetness. You want them to look quite speckled and brown! Mash them in a bowl with a fork, or place them in a large Ziploc bag and squeeze them with your hands until they’re perfectly mashed.
- I use a large box grater to shred my zucchini, which still blends easily into the bread. If you really want the zucchini to be undetectable, use a finer grater so that the zucchini has a finer texture. You can also use a food processor to shred the zucchini if you like.
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just until they’re combined. Too much mixing and the bread will come out tough, dense, or dry. The key to keeping a quick bread moist is NOT over-mixing.
- The total baking time will vary depending on the type of pan that you use . I prefer light-colored pans , which cook the bread more evenly. Dark metal pans tend to cause the outside to burn before the inside cooks through. You’ll know that the bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- If the top of the bread starts to get too dark before it’s cooked through, tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Do not overbake the bread or it will become dry. My loaves are typically done by the 50-minute mark, but some may be done in as little as 45 minutes — so check it early.
Also Check: Panera Bread West Chester Ohio
Is Banana Bread Healthy
Normally its not. However, this banana bread is still a treat and much healthier than regular banana bread!
- Whole wheat flour I used whole wheat flour in this banana bread recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like
- Low in sugar This healthy banana bread recipe is sweetened only by ripe bananas, a touch of honey, and applesauce. Many banana bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this has only 19g of all natural sugar per slice.
- Heart healthy fats Instead of using butter or canola oil, this healthy banana bread recipe uses coconut oil to keep it moist, and you can also add some walnuts for healthy fats!
You might be wondering.. why is banana bread bad so for you? Typical banana bread is loaded with sugar, high in fat, and wont really do much to keep you full. We believe in all things in moderation, but this banana bread is so much better for you!
The Best Healthy Banana Bread Recipe You’ll Ever Bake
If you think banana bread has to be an indulgent dessert, think again. Here, a healthier banana bread is made possible with the use of whole-wheat flour, applesauce, and almond milk. These simple swaps give the classic quick bread an extra boost of fiber, vitamins, and a lot less sugarand we promise no one will be able to tell the difference. When it’s finished baking, slice up and serve as is or give it a coating of cream cheese or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
You May Like: Is Brown Bread Keto Friendly
How To Store Leftovers
If you are lucky enough to have any of this healthy banana bread left over then its easy to store! Or, you can even make a few loaves to freeze for later.
Substituted The Flour By Measuring Equal Weight Not By Volume
Almond flour is actually lighter than regular flour when youre measuring them in the same fashion . One cup of regular flour weighs about 125 grams, whereas one cup of almond flour weighs about 92 grams. Ive found that flour substitutions work out better when you keep the weight constant. For example, 1 3/4 cups regular flour is the equivalent of 2 1/2 cups almond flour.
This is also true for oat flour. Interestingly, with almond flour, Ive found that another way to keep the weight constant is to simply pack the almond flour into the measuring cups. When fully packed, you can use the original measurement of 1 3/4 cups.
Also Check: How To Find Out My Dogs Breed
Tips And Variations For This Banana Bread Recipe:
- Swap the walnuts for any nut you like or omit them entirely.
- Use extra ripe bananas for best results. They should have black spots and be very soft.
- For best results, avoid over-mixing the batter. Over-mixing can cause breads to be tough or gummy.
- You can halve the ingredients to make one loaf.
- You can turn this bread into banana muffins by baking the batter in muffin tins. Just decrease the bake time to 20-25 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick.
How To Make This Healthy Banana Bread Into Muffins
If youd like you can use this banana bread recipe and make muffins. Heres how to do it: spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or use muffin liners. To be safe, I always spray the inside of the liners too. Prepare batter as directed, then divide evenly between liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until tester comes out clean.
Also Check: Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
How To Make Healthy Banana Bread
To me, banana bread is the embodiment of homeyness and warmth, in baked breakfast form.
This healthy banana bread recipe is good for you and made with nutritious ingredients, but it doesnt sacrifice the pure comfort you long for when you reach for a slice.
You can enjoy it for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or try warm it in a toaster oven, then top with a scoop of Banana Ice Cream for dessert.
Healthy Banana Bread For Breakfast Or Snack
The recipe can be oil free, egg free, and dairy free, with NO refined sugar.
To lower the oil without sacrificing moisture or taste, it packs a full one and a half cups of mashed banana into the loaf, which also sweetens the banana bread recipe without all that extra sugar and empty calories.
And though Im normally not a fan of oil-free baking, this banana bread is definitely an exception. You can easily omit the vegetable or coconut oil entirely if you prefer, and it will still turn out amazingly soft and delicious!
While many traditional banana bread recipes call for at least a cup of refined sugar and half a cup of butter or more, this lightened-up healthy banana bread recipe cuts way back on the things you dont want.
Instead, it replaces them with whole grains and good-for-you ingredients, adding extra potassium rich banana for natural sweetness.
You may also like: Vegan Lemon Bread
You May Like: Gluten Free Bread San Francisco
Baking Tips For Banana Bread
- The key to making the best sweet banana bread with rich banana flavor is to use very ripe bananas. You want your bananas to have lots of brown spots on them.
- If you are using bananas from your freezer, thaw them before proceeding with the recipe. Drain off and discard any excess liquid that separates from the bananas as they defrost.
- To make dairy-free banana bread, use coconut oil instead of butter in the recipe.
- You may substitute the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour.
- Mix a few nuts or chocolate chips into the batter to make banana nut bread or chocolate chip banana bread. If you like blueberries in your banana bread, try my healthy blueberry banana bread recipe. If youre craving chocolate try my chocolate banana bread.
More Healthy Bread Recipes To Check Out
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and dont forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on | | | for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Read Also: Dr Gary’s Best Breed Reviews
How To Make Banana Bread
The banana bread is super simple to make, and leftovers can be sliced and frozen for an instant breakfast or snack any time you are craving banana bread.
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir well to evenly mix and break up any clumps of baking soda or salt.
Whisk the liquid ingredients together, pour them into the mixing bowl, and stir to form a banana bread batter.
Smooth into the prepared baking pan. Press a few chocolate chips on top if your heart desires, and place the pan on the ovens center rack.
Bake for 40 minutes. After time has elapsed, keep the oven door closed and turn off the heat. Let the banana loaf sit in the closed oven for an additional ten minutes to continue cooking. Then remove from the oven.
The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean. If yours is still undercooked, simply turn the oven back on and continue baking until fluffy and golden.
Let it cool. The taste and texture are better the next day, so I like to loosely cover the banana bread and refrigerate overnight.
Refrigerate leftovers for three to four days, or slice and freeze leftover banana bread for a month or two.
Above, watch the step-by-step banana bread recipe video
How Do I Get Bananas To Ripen
If you have bananas that are too green, there are a few things you can do to help them ripen faster. Place them in a brown paper bag and this will help the banana to get ripe.
If you want to speed it up even more, place an apple in the bag with them. This will further speed up the process.
This is a simple trick that works great. Give it a try!
Recommended Reading: Corn Bread With Sour Cream
Why This Banana Bread Recipe Is Awesome
- Super easy: it is really so easy to make. We have a step by step process for you to follow. Its as simple as mixing the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and then bake.
- Healthy: made with healthy ingredients like wheat flour, honey in place of sugar, and coconut oil in place of butter.
- Delicious: so fluffy, moist, and full of flavor. Hard to stop at one slice
Easy Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
One of the reasons I love baking banana bread so much is because its so incredibly easy to make!
You can make this Easy Healthy Banana Bread using just one bowl and it bakes up quick in under an hour.
And let me tell ya, the aroma of this banana bread baking smells SO good!
The cinnamon, honey, vanilla, and bananas all combine to create one heavenly aroma that will have you counting down the minutes until you can eat a slice.
Read Also: Whole Grain Bread Gluten Free
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe Variations
This healthy banana bread recipe is delicious as written, but feel free to play with different spices or mix-ins. Here are a few ideas to change it up:
- Switch the nuts. Use chopped pecans or almonds instead of walnuts.
- Make it fruity. Replace the nuts with dried cherries, cranberries, blueberries, chopped dried apricots, or Medjool dates. You could also use a mix of nuts and dried fruit.
- Swap the spices. Try adding cardamom or ginger in place of the nutmeg.
- Or add chocolate chips. Need I say more?
Simple Whole Grain Banana Bread
If you have overripe bananas sitting on the counter and no idea how to use them up, this healthy banana bread is the perfect solution.
The addition of yogurt to the recipe adds even more softness without weighing the bread down. And its sweetened with pure maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
Thanks to the extra banana, the bread needs just half a cup of sweetener for the entire recipe. This is around half of what is called for in popular banana bread recipes from Martha Stewart, Food Network, Rachael Ray, Betty Crocker, and others.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipe
How To Make Banana Bread:
To make this easy banana bread recipe, simply
How To Store This Low Calorie Banana Bread
Storing Banana Bread: You can store this bread covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for maximum freshness! It will last up to a week in the refrigerator but will lose its freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Banana Bread: You can slice this bread and individually wrap it or freeze banana bread whole. To defrost a whole loaf take it out the night before youd like to enjoy it and set it in the refrigerator.
When youre ready to serve pop in the microwave. If youre defrosting a single slice, you can put it directly in the microwave or toaster oven until it is warm.
Read Also: Angelic Bakehouse Sprouted 7 Grain Bread