Blueberry Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
Take a unique approach on a classic banana bread recipe with this Chocolate Chip Blueberry Banana Bread. The bread bursts with flavor and is the perfect treat to have for breakfast or a snack.
If you enjoy traditional banana bread, you will love this Chocolate Chip Blueberry Banana Bread. You will use ripe bananas, fresh blueberries, and chocolate chip morsels in a batter to create a flavorful sweet bread. You can slice it up and keep it fresh in a bread box or the fridge.
Do You Need To Use Ripe Bananas
We are often asked about the ripeness of bananas used in banana bread. We dont enjoy eating overripe bananas, so putting them in smoothies or banana bread is a great option.
Its fine to let the skin get very dark and almost black. But we dont use them when the banana inside is black. An overripe banana does get soft or mushy and is the perfect ripeness for bread. The bananas are at their sweetest when the skin is black. That adds to the sweetness of your banana bread.
You do not want to use bananas that still have green on them. Bananas are starting to ripen and turn sweeter when brown spots begin to appear on the skin. If you let them go another few days, they will be at their best for banana bread.
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread this one bowl banana bread recipe takes about 10 minutes to prep! Its one of the best banana bread recipes Ive tried!
This Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread is one of those recipes that you can pull together in about 10 minutes.
I like to think of it as the perfect sunday afternoon recipe. Ill be relaxing around the house and Ill decide that I want banana bread. 10 minutes later, the bread is prepared and baking in the oven. And the best part? This banana bread is made in one bowl, so youll have less dishes to clean!
To be exact youll probably have one mixing bowl, one spatula, the 1/2 cup, the 1/3 cup, the 1 cup, and the teaspoon to clean. If youre really wanting to cut corners, skip the 1 cup and just use the half cup twice 🙂
Recommended Reading: Banana Bread Recipe With 2 Bananas
How To Make This Banana Bread
This bread is a riff on Elises classic Banana Bread with just a few adjustments to accommodate the peanut butter.
I use a creamy, commercial brand of peanut butter here. I dont usually bake with natural peanut butter because it tends to take a little more finessing to incorporate. I beat the peanut butter a bit before mixing it into the batter, just like you often do with cream cheese. I want it to soften and smooth out so it will incorporate more easily.
You could use chunky, but I prefer creamy. It shouldnt cause any issues if you were to substitute one for the other.
Since peanut butter can weigh down a batter, I also added some milk to the recipe to keep the loaf from being too heavy.
You can use mini or regular chocolate chips here, or even chopped bar chocolate. Its really your preference. If you do use bar chocolate, just know it will melt more readily than chips . I avoid topping the batter with bar chocolate, because it can melt off and burn as it bakes. Just add some to the top when it comes out of the oven.
How To Make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This recipes comes together easily. Be sure to follow the recipe as specified, including using both granulated sugar AND brown sugar. The brown sugar really enhances the flavor of the bread. Also ensure that your eggs are at room temperature and your butter is softened.
- Step 1: Mash the bananas. Be sure to use overripe bananas. The bananas should be mostly brown to yield the best flavor. Mash until smooth. Do not leave chunks of bananas.
- Step 2: Prepare the pan. Grease a 9×5 metal loaf pan and set aside. Use butter or a nonstick cooking spray to grease the sides.
- Step 3: Make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Step 4: Add the chocolate chips. Gently fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips until combined. After pouring the batter into the loaf pan, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 chips on top.
- Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the bread is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Don’t Miss: Easy Recipes With Bread For Breakfast
Can I Make Changes To This Recipe
While you dont want to make too many changes here are a few that will work in the recipe written as-is:
- Toasted nuts I really like this bread with just chocolate chips but you could easily add 1/2 cup toasted nuts of your choosing. I think walnuts or pecans work best with the flavors.
- White chocolate chips going for something totally different? Use white chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate. The result will be sweeter but you just might want that!
- Spices Want a hint of warmth? Why not try putting in a little sprinke of cinnamon.
Tips For Easy Banana Bread
- Mash your bananas well with a fork. Its fine if there is a few lumps.
- The batter should be thick and lumpy once all of the ingredients are mixed through. You may be tempted to add more liquid, but you wont need it. This banana bread is perfect.
- Do not be tempted to over mix!
- Use a pale coloured loaf pan light grey or white is ideal. Dark or black loaf pans are known to darken the bottom of cakes or loaves.
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. Leave a 3 inch overhang to make it easy to pull and lift the banana bread out of the pan.
- Place your loaf onto a cooling rack to let cool, or enjoy a slice fresh out of the oven!
Don’t Miss: Bread & Roses Women’s Health Center
This Recipe Is Perfect For Gifts
Everyone will love this yummy recipe. The mini loaf pans make the perfect size to hand out as gifts.
We love to wrap these up and hand them out to neighbors, teachers and friends. Its the perfect thing to show we care without spending a ton of money or time.
It is also great for Christmas when we want to do something for everyone but time and money just will not allow. People love this bread and I love being able to do things for those around me.
Its the thought that counts and everyone always is so appreciative of these little loaves.
The paper mini loaf pans do cost a little more but they are so pretty. I try to catch these on sale and keep some on hand for when Im baking for others.
They just look so pretty when Im giving these as gifts. Sometimes during the holidays you can find some of the paper pans all decked out for Christmas.
Can I Freeze It
You can certainly freeze this banana bread if youd like to store it for a longer period of time . Just wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap, then freeze it in an airtight container. Unwrap it and thaw it out in the fridge or on the counter before enjoying it. You could even freeze slices and pull one out when a craving hits.
Read Also: King’s Hawaiian Bread Spinach Dip Recipe
How To Serve This Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
Serve the bread warm, at room temperature, or even straight from the refrigerator! Its a great option for breakfast or snack when paired with a mug of hot coffee or tea, or with a cold glass of milk.
The bread is delicious on its own, but you might also enjoy it with butter, cream cheese, almond butter, or peanut butter. Add some yogurt or eggs and fresh fruit on the side for a perfect morning feast!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Pie Crust Dough
How To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make chocolate chip banana bread at home:
1. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl the bananas, milk, and cinnamon in another bowl and beat the butter and sugar in a third bowl, adding the eggs one at a time.2. Stir the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix in the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.3. Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean.
Also Check: La Brea Where To Watch
The Secret To Super Moist Banana Bread
The secret to getting moist chocolate chip banana bread is really just a couple simple ingredients. The main two being melted butter and Greek yogurt.
Using melted butter, as opposed to room temperature, helps to soaks up all the flour which gives you that smooth texture. The Greek yogurt adds even MORE moisture while still providing structure. Its my secret ingredient in so many of my dessert recipes.
Another reason why Greek yogurt works so well here is because its flavor. Greek yogurt is slightly sour which helps to balance out the sweetness of the bananas, chocolate, and sugar.
Its also very thick and contains less water than regular yogurt. This is the reason why I love baking with it so much, it provides tons of moisture without thinning the batter too much.
But if you dont have Greek yogurt available near you, sour cream will also do the trick.
We cant forget about the bananas. You have to add just enough to get that strong flavor but too much can turn your banana bread into banana pudding . Getting the perfect balance of flour, butter, yogurt and banana is the key to getting deliciously moist chocolate chip banana bread.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Swaps
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: You can swap the all purpose flour in this recipe for whole wheat pastry flour. It will give this banana bread a nutritional boost while still keeping that soft and moist texture we all know and love. I havent tested this exact recipe with whole wheat pastry flour, but the two flours can almost always be used interchangeably in baked goods. The swap works perfectly in my zucchini bread!
- Applesauce: If you dont have quite enough mashed banana to make a full 1 1/2 cups you can top it off with applesauce. You of course will want to get as close to the full measurement as possible to really get that delicious banana flavor, but if need a little more applesauce is a great substitution!
- Nuts: Nuts are a great substitution for the chocolate chips in this easy, one bowl banana bread! You could use walnuts, pecans, or even peanuts for a perfectly nutty banana bread. Or even use nuts in addition to the chocolate chips to get the best of both worlds out of this delicious banana bread!
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Naan Bread
Try Chocolate Chip Banana Bread For Lunch Box Treats Or After School Snacks
We all know how expensive all of those pre-packaged treats can be. They really add up over time and dont go that far when your family is large like mine.
I like making homemade treats and it saves a ton of money. It also is a big hit with the kids.
One trick I have is to put slices of this banana Bread in ziploc bags. They will be all ready to grab for after school snacks, breakfast or lunchboxes.
I have found that if I do this, its just as handy as those expensive pre-packaged items you buy at the store. This gives me all the convenience without all the cost.
Plus, it just tastes much better.
Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Lisa Huff & nbsp| February 26, 2018
Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe, the best homemade Chocolate Chip Banana Bread! How to make the most moist banana bread in one bowl that results in an almost cake like quick bread. Plus a quick video to show you how to make this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Cant believe I havent posted a banana bread recipe before, like todays Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe! I did have a recipe for Banana Bread Doughnut Twists awhile back, but my family loves banana bread. So much in fact, I had a hard time getting pictures of this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. For those of you looking for a low carb banana bread, I have an Almond Flour Banana Bread recipe coming soon!
This delicious and tasty homemade banana bread can be made in one bowl! Yes, a one bowl banana bread! Doesnt get easier than that right? You know I like easy, so an Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, is my kind of thing. One bowl, means you can have this quick banana bread with less clean up!
Hungry? Subscribe to the Snappy Gourmet newsletter for all the latest recipes and get my FREE ebook!
This recipe is a little different, and results in a moist chocolate chip banana bread thats almost cake like. Dont worry though, it still tastes like banana bread! Its not healthy by any means, but its delicious.
I know not everyone likes bananas, so for those people, may I recommend this delicious Cannoli Bread instead.
Also Check: Why No Bread On Passover
Can You Freeze Bananas To Use For Banana Bread
Remember, next time you have bananas that are about to go bad, freeze them so they are ready for some delicious banana bread!
I actually will put three to four over ripe bananas in a freezer bag and label it ready for banana bread so it is easy even easier to thaw and have it ready for bread.
Simple things like this really save time and money. This will make the best banana bread and you wont have any waste thanks to freezing the bananas.
Sometimes we will buy bananas on sale and freeze them.
I am all about using what is on sale at the grocery store or that I already have in the freezer. I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning!
Save that money for something else or to give you family wiggle room in the budget.
Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. This is how I keep our grocery budget reasonable.
Can You Store Your Banana Bread In The Freezer
Yes, you can store the banana bread in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can store the whole loaf or cut it in slices. Just wrap the banana bread in plastic wrap or freeze wrap, then put in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. Take it out of the freezer and let it come to room temperature and then enjoy a delicious slice. You can also warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds to get the fresh out of the oven taste!
Hope you enjoy this delicious Banana Bread with chocolate chips!
Also Check: Recipes For Gluten Free Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this banana bread gluten free?
I have not tested this specific recipe, but I have a delicious recipe for gluten free banana bread thats just as moist! Just add chocolate chips.
Can I use plain yogurt instead?
If you dont have Greek yogurt or sour cream, you can also use plain unsweetened yogurt.
Can I use less sugar in this recipe?
Sugar plays a big role in the moist texture of this bread. Adjusting it will likely change the banana bread. For a refined sugar free option, try swapping all of the sugar with coconut sugar.
Why did my banana bread sink in the middle?
This is likely due to two missteps: 1. You over mixed the batter. Over mixing develops the gluten strands in the flour, creating a more dense and heavy batter. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. This is why its important to mix the batter by hand. 2. Your pan is too small. 9×5 loaf pans can vary in size, as mine is about 9.5x5x5 inches. If you have a smaller loaf pan, only fill the pan about 2/3 full. Any more than than and the center of the banana bread will have trouble baking all the way through.
Do I need to make this banana bread with chocolate chips?
If you just want plain banana bread, you can leave out the chocolate chips. Alternatively, you can add nuts instead.
Expert Tips And Variations
Double the recipe – make a big batch of quick breads and freeze a few loaves in thick slices. Thaw, toast or warm and add a swipe of gooey peanut butter or almond butter for an easy breakfast or afternoon snack.
Variety with add-ins – sometimes it’s fun to add a little extra to amp up the texture and flavor in your favorite ways. A little bit of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg or cloves can give the loaf a pop of warm spice.
A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder or a teaspoon of espresso powder and vanilla extract can amp up the rich chocolate flavor. Or, mix in a ¼ cup of chocolate chips or chopped nuts to give the chocolate loaf cake some added texture.
Storage – this quick chocolate bread recipe can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. Freeze as a full loaf or in thick slices in plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
Also Check: How To Make Paleo Bread