Why Youll Love French Toast Made With Sourdough
There are so many reasons you will love this recipe, but let me list a few for you, because you need this recipe in your life!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
Sourdough bread makes the best French toast. Sourdough is healthier and easier to digest and the crumb holds up perfectly when soaking the bread in the French toast batter .
- Budget-Friendly, Simple Ingredients: Not only is this recipe made with very simple pantry ingredients, like eggs, milk, and maple syrup or honey, its also made with stale bread. Instead of tossing stale sourdough bread, you now have the perfect use for it!
- Quick and Easy: It takes just 5 minutes to combine the ingredients. And then its just a matter of cooking the bread in butter on the stove-top for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Freezer-Friendly: While it is quick and easy, French toast isnt a breakfast we typically make during the week. But that doesnt mean that we cant enjoy this family-favorite breakfast on a busy Monday. Instead, I freeze and reheat leftover French toast for a quick and easy breakfast .
- No Refined Sugar: Just a touch of maple syrup or honey and cinnamon balances the tanginess of the sourdough bread perfectly!
How To Make Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole
Thankfully, the oven does a lot of the work for this apple cinnamon French toast bake.
- Prepare the baking dish. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Add the bread. Place the cubed bread in the baking dish. Set it aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Add half of the brown sugar and half of the ground cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Pour the mixture over the bread in the baking dish. Set it aside.
- Cook the apples.Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the apples, remaining brown sugar, and remaining ground cinnamon. Mix well. Cook them for 8 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the apples soften. Remove the apples from the heat.
- Assemble the casserole. Spoon the apple mixture over the bread, sprinkle with pecans, and cover the baking dish with foil refrigerate it overnight. You can also bake the casserole right away.
- Bake it. Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the baking dish from the fridge. Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Once the custard is set, remove it from the oven.
- Serve. Let the casserole rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with maple syrup and enjoy.
Read Also: Used Bread Racks For Sale
Why Is Sourdough A Healthier Choice
Sourdough involves the fermentation of grains. Fermentation breaks down phytic acid, allowing nutrients like folate to be more bioavailable.
Fermentation also increases the digestibility of grains and lower its gluten content. So, if you have a gluten intolerance, sourdough bread is a very welcome option.
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten
How To Serve This Recipe
While making this sourdough french toast, I like to preheat my oven to 200 degrees and transfer the cooked slices from the frying pan to the oven. Keeping them in the oven in an oven-safe baking dish will keep them warm until you are ready to serve.
Then, I serve them warm with desired toppings. You can always serve yours along with your favorite scrambled eggs and bacon too!
Also Check: Lemon Bread With Poppy Seeds
Can You Make French Toast With Sourdough
can you make french toast with sourdough: Can you make French Toast with Sourdough: Waffles are another easy and delicious way to enjoy fresh fruits. But making waffles is a little more complicated than making French toast because waffles need to have thicker bread and need to be cooked at a higher temperature. To make French toast with Sourdough, just use a 2-inch piece of sourdough bread. Cut the bread into thin slices and dip them in an egg mixture. Fry the bread and serve hot.
The Best Sourdough French Toast
In case you missed the intro, this french toast recipe has become my go-to breakfast recipe on the weekend.
It literally takes 10 minutesto make, uses all staplepantry ingredients, and just turns out perfect every time.
And since we will be using super common ingredients, you can whip up this recipe anytime you’re craving the best sourdough french toast that will give any diner a run for their money.
Whether you eat it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner, you’re going to fall in love with this sourdough french toast.
You May Like: King Arthur Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Should You Have Leftovers
French toast will stay delicious for 5-7 days wrapped and sealed in the refrigerator after preparing it. You can also freeze it for up to a month!
From the fridge, reheat on a frying pan for about 5 minutes on each side, until thoroughly heated through. You can also reheat it in the toaster oven or the oven at 375°F for 10 minutes from the refrigerator or 15 minutes from frozen.
The microwave will work in a pinch but does tend to make it a little soggy.
If you have extra egg wash, you can save that, too. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator to make more French toast over the next 2-3 days.
Topping Ideas For French Toast
Sourdough French toast can be enjoyed on its own, or with a drizzle of maple syrup to seal the sweet, tangy flavors.
Here are some additional ideas for you to consider:
- Add a dollop of protein with some creamy Greek yogurt.
- Top this breakfast delight with your favorite fruits .
- For extra texture add some almonds, pecans, or crushed walnuts. You can even pair this with peanut butter or almond butter.
- Top your delicious French toast with a generous glop of whipped cream, and indulge in its perfection!
Read Also: Best Bread For High Blood Pressure
What Kind Of Sourdough Bread Is Best For French Toast
Sourdough bread is a type of bread made with a sourdough starter or bacterial culture. In order to have a sourdough starter, you need to mix water with flour and yeast and let it sit for a couple of days to allow the natural yeast and bacteria to grow. When the mixture is done, youre left with a sourdough starter. This starter is what makes sourdough bread so sour, but it also makes it better for French toast. A sourdough starter has been used for thousands of years, and its the basis of sourdough bread. French toast is a type of bread that is basically soaked in milk, eggs, and flavoring. This type of bread is typically served with sweet toppings. Some popular toppings for French toast are banana slices, cinnamon, or powdered sugar. To prepare French toast, you simply dip the bread into the liquid and then into the batter. The bread gets a nice coating, but not too much. You dont want the batter to completely cover the bread. You also dont want to flip the bread until you have the crispy edges. This is because if you flip it, the bread will start to dry out. If you flip it too much, the bread will get soggy.
Storage And Freezing Instructions
This Sheet Pan Sourdough French Toast should be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You should then bake your desired amount of toast right before serving. The toast reheated wont be ideal.
Lastly, if you try out this Sheet Pan Sourdough French Toast, be sure to leave a comment/rating on how it turned out. I love hearing from you guys and will try my best to reply to every comment! And donât forget to tag me on !
You May Like: Keto Bread Recipes Almond Flour
How To Make The Best French Toast
Well start by slicing up a fresh loaf of sourdough bread into 8 slices. You could use pre-sliced bread, but the heartiness of a loaf holds up much better for French toast.
Next, lets whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Dont skip the benefit-loaded cinnamon it has loads of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and diabetes-fighting effects.
If youre feeling wild, add in a dash of nutmeg, too!
Drench the bread in the egg mixture, letting each slice soak for 2 minutes.
Now, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of ghee. Once its sizzling and hot, fry each slice of bread until crispy, about 34 minutes.
The bread is going to smell terrific, but resist the urge to remove it from the skillet too early. You dont want soggy French toast. Add more ghee as needed between batches of bread.
Once all the bread is fried, crisp and ready to be devoured, serve with butter, maple syrup and fruit.
How To Store Your Sourdough French Toast
So, this recipe will make 6 slices of french toast. And if you are making it for the whole family, feel free to double or triple the recipe so everyone can have a few slices of this deliciousness.
Now, this french toast is best fresh, and I doubt you’ll have any leftovers. But if you do, I suggest freezing them – it makes for an excellent quick breakfast, brunch, or snack!
To freeze, first lay your french toast in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then place the tray in the freezer for about 30minutes, remove the french toast, and put the slices in a freezer-safe bag.
Your leftovers will keep at the best quality in the freezer for 1month but can be stored for up to 2months.
How To Reheat French Toast
Another thing I love about this recipe is how delicious it tastes reheated.
Then to reheat your french toast, you can put it in the toaster oven – it’s like you’re having frozen french toast you bought from the store but so much better.
And you could also reheat it by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds until warm, or you can reheat it in the oven.
You May Like: Blue Buffalo Large Breed Senior
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Day old bread – This french toast uses stale bread. This is a great way to use up bread that you are about to throw out.
- Sweet & tangy – The sourdough bread pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the egg mixture and maple syrup. The vanilla and cinnamon add tons of flavor.
- Lots of toppings – I like to pile it high with fresh berries and whipped cream. You can also add nuts, bananas, chocolate sauce, caramel, coconut, or whatever you have on hand.
- Great for brunch or weekend breakfasts – This Sourdough french toast recipe is a great dish to serve for special occasions like Mothers Day or Christmas morning. It is also perfect for those slow Sunday mornings.
- Kid friendly – It is a great dish for all ages.
Tips For Recipe Success
- Stale bread. This French toast starts off with 2 to 3 day-old bread. I like to leave the bread out on the counter uncovered overnight. This helps the bread soak up more of the egg mixture. If you forget to leave it out, simply pop it in the toaster for a couple of seconds to crisp up.
- Make ahead. The egg mixture can be made a day before you plan to make this recipe. Store it covered in the refrigerator and stir before dipping bread.
- Bread. While we love this with sourdough bread, if you dont happen to have any available, you can use any thick bread. Either brioche bread or Texas toast are also thick and sturdy that hold up well with the egg mixture.
Recommended Reading: Which Bread Has Low Carbs
Tips And Tricks For Making Sourdough French Toast
- Use day-old, or stale, bread for french toast. This helps the bread to hold up to the batter and not get soggy.
- Use a sturdy bread, such as sourdough, to get the crisp outside and soft inside.
- A preheated griddle works wonders for french toast because it seals the outside of the toast to help caramelize it, while heating the inside enough to cook it through.
- Butter is the best thing to use to make sure your griddle is non-stick. Frying the toast in the butter makes it extra yummy and extra crispy!
- Make your slices 1 inch thick to get a decadent piece of french toast.
- Change up the flavor of your french toast by adding different spices/ingredients to your batter!
How To Reheat Leftover French Toast
Nobody likes soggy French toast so the best way to reheat French toast is either in an oven or an air fryer. You can place leftover French toast on a baking sheet and reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Or you can place a few slices in the air fryer and reheat it at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
Read Also: Nature’s Own Bread Walmart
Is Sourdough Good For Toast
Yes, it is. However, take note that it also depends on what type of sourdough bread youre going to make. Toasting would not be ideal for too-crusty sourdough bread. If youre going to bake it using a Dutch oven, it may come out too crispy.
Still, you can use sourdough bread in a Dutch oven for your French toast. It might just be more challenging to whip up.
Cook The French Toast
Melt some butter in the skillet over medium heat.
Remove the bread slice from the milk and egg mixture, holding the bread over the soaking dish for just a few seconds so excess egg mixture drips off the bread. Place the bread in the hot skillet.
Cook the bread for 2-3 minutes, until the bread has a golden crust, then use a spatula to flip and cook the bread for another 2-3 minutes. During the last minute, turn up the heat if youd like a crispy crust on bread.
Recommended Reading: Little Caesars Promo Code Free Crazy Bread
How To Make A Homemade French Toast
Yes, you can make homemade french toast. In fact, its probably easier than you think. First, youll need to prepare a mixture of buttermilk and eggs. Buttermilk is a type of sour milk that has a tangy and slightly acidic flavor. This makes it a great choice to use when making french toast. Make sure you use a very cold fridge to store your buttermilk, or you will end up with a gummy, cloudy mixture. Youll also need some flour, which can be prepared from white flour. Mix equal parts buttermilk and flour together in a large bowl. Add a few eggs and a little bit of oil. Mix until the flour has completely absorbed the buttermilk. You can prepare this mixture in the morning and set it in your fridge overnight to use for your french toast in the morning. Heat a pan over medium heat and pour some oil in the pan. Dip your bread into the buttermilk mixture, allowing it to soak up the mixture for about a minute. Once the bread is soaked, place the bread in the pan. Cook for about three minutes, or until both sides of the bread have browned. To serve, top with your favorite jams and add a few slices of cheese. This is a great recipe to make for breakfast the next time you make french toast.
How To Make Sourdough French Toast With Berries:
STEP 1. In a large bowl, combine the fresh blackberries and raspberries, lime juice, lime zest, and powdered sugar and gently toss to combine. Set bowl aside.
STEP 2. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
STEP 3. Soak the *prepared bread in the egg mixture for 4-5 seconds per side, then transfer to a rimmed bowl. Set aside.
STEP 4. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add two or three slices of the soaked bread to the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown on each side. Remove from skillet and repeat this process with the remaining sourdough bread slices.
STEP 5. To serve, transfer the French toast onto individual plates and top with some of the fresh berry mixture and some powdered sugar and/or real maple syrup. Offer some crispy bacon or sausage links on the side, if desired. Enjoy!
Note: *To harden the sourdough bread, leave the sliced bread on the counter for several hours to overnight or place on a baking sheet in a warm oven for 5-10 minutes.
This really is a yummy and healthy breakfast when French toast is made with sourdough bread and organic maple syrup. Sourdough French Toast is the perfect way to start your weekend!
Stick to an organic or pure maple syrup for your French toast or pancake breakfast. Add a little bit of powdered sugar to the top of the toast as a garnish.
Don’t Miss: Banana Bread Recipe With 2 Bananas