Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread Ingredients:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these the best dairy free gluten free banana bread:
- ripe bananas Ripe bananas are those ones that have been sitting on your counter for the last 2 weeks and every day you said you were going to use them, but havent. Now you can.
- vegan butter For richness, moisture, and texture, we are using vegan butter for this recipe
- vegan sugar Cane sugar is what we are using. If you want to learn more about why your sugar may not be vegan, you can learn more by clicking on the link.
- dairy free milk any non-dairy milk will work. We personally use vanilla unsweetened milk since we are already adding in sugar
- maple syrup we love the addition of maple syrup to make this extra sweet with a little added flavor
- gluten free flour We are using King Arthur 1:1 flour blend for this recipe. Bobs Red Mill 1:1 blend will also work. We have not tested this recipe with any other gluten free flour. We DO NOT recommend using just almond flour or another single gluten free flour blend
Whats The Best Oven Temperature For Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread
I like to bake this banana bread at a slightly higher oven temperature of 375ºF for about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. This ensures a gorgeous domed top, nicely caramelised edges and perfectly baked-through, soft and moist inner crumb.
Note that the oven temperature above refers to a conventional/non-fan oven. If youre using a convection/fan oven, reduce this temperature by 25ºF . This is a general rule of thumb that holds true for most recipes.
If your banana bread starts browning too quickly, cover it with a sheet of aluminium foil and continue baking until done.
Note About Ovens And Oven Temperatures
All my recipes are tested and developed with a conventional oven. I always bake my baked goods on the rack placed in the MIDDLE of my oven. This way the heat coming from the bottom will not burn my baked goods.
If you are baking with convection , please adjust the recipes accordingly. Be also prepared that the convection oven can cause your baked goods to dry out quickly and still be raw inside. Be aware that it takes at least 15-20 minutes for a standard American Oven to be fully preheated. I highly recommend investing in an Oven Thermometer.
Recommended Reading: Banana Bread Recipe With Chocolate Chips And Walnuts
Mix The Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix the rice flour, potato flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda with a whisk until well combined and there are no lumps of flour left. Mixing the dry ingredients well at this stage is important it will make sure that the flavour and texture are the same throughout the bread!
Storing Freezing And Thawing
- To Store: You have two options with storing the banana bread- room temperature or the fridge. Room temperature 1-2 days – refrigerated for 5 days. After making this vegan banana bread, allow it to fully cool, slice the banana bread and store any leftover slices in an airtight container or bag.
- To Freeze: This banana bread is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer to enjoy at a later time. Frozen vegan banana bread will keep for at least 1-3 months. Either wrap individual slices or the whole loaf once cool.
- To Thaw: Thaw banana bread at room temperature, or in the fridge overnight. If you prefer a warm slice of banana bread, I recommend either microwaving it for around 45 seconds, or in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes .
Read Also: King Arthur Cinnamon Raisin Bread
What Do I Need For This Banana Bread Recipe
There’s a full printable recipe card below, but for the shopping list you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 80ml gluten free oat milk
- 200g self-raising gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 65g chopped walnuts
I use the FREEE by Doves Farm self-raising gluten free flour, which already has xanthan gum in the mixture.
This is a really useful ingredient for gluten free baking and I’d recommend if you’re flour mix doesn’t contain this, that you add around ¼ tsp to the recipe.
I used a gluten free oat milk in this recipe but you could use any dairy free milk – almond or soy milk would probably work best.
Of course the riper the bananas the better – did you know if your bananas aren’t ripe enough you can microwave them in the skins to ripen them faster?
Nice little recipe hack there for you!
Simple Vegan Banana Bread
This vegan banana bread is so sweet and fluffy that you honestly wont even believe it is made without eggs or dairy. Trust me on that one!
We shared this loaf with several members of our family who claim they dont like vegan food and the feedback was incredible.
Try it! Make it for your non-vegan friends and family they wont believe that it is made completely with plant-based ingredients. It has no eggs, dairy, or other animal products in it at all.
This recipe is full of ingredients that you probably already have at home and are already familiar with oatmeal and almond butter. I tested it times with a variety of ratios and finally made it absolutely perfect. Like so perfect youre going to want to eat it for every meal, okay?
Lets dive on in and make some really good vegan banana bread!
You May Like: Gluten Free Bread San Francisco
How To Ripen Unripe Bananas
Want to make banana bread but your bananas arent ripe enough? I learned this super quick method for ripening bananas fast in the oven.
Easy! Use this trick:
You are just going to love this vegan banana bread recipe! If you make it, let me know down below in the comments section, along with giving it a rating so that other people can see.
As always, I love to see your beautiful creations on and , so be sure to tag me there! Please leave a review as well as a rating so that others may find this recipe too!
Happy classic banana bread baking!
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
Who could say no to a lush slice of vegan chocolate banana bread? Not me! Banana bread is delicious as is, but add chocolate into the mix and youll end up with something truly irresistible
Banana bread is probably one of my favourite types of cake. Ive made a few of banana bread recipes in the past, like my walnut banana bread, banana blueberry bread and this banana avocado bread. I can see myself making many more variations in the future too I just love how dense and moist they are. You really cant go wrong with a good banana bread. Its such a crowd-pleaser!
Treat yourself or make it the next time you want to impress someone with your baking skills. Its super easy to make, you just need one bowl and a wooden spoon! It looks so stunning topped with a sliced banana, but if you only have 3 ripe bananas on hand, dont panic, it will still taste delicious without. I must admit I added it more for decoration and for that wow effect. It does add some extra sweetness and banana flavour, but leaving it out wont be the end of the world.
Recommended Reading: What Bread Is Healthy For Weight Loss
The Best Vegan And Gluten
The Best Vegan and Gluten-free Banana Bread- made with a combination of oat and almond flour, this healthier banana bread is as wholesome as it is delicious!
This recipe has been a long time coming. Even though I already have a vegan and gluten-free banana bread on my site, I knew I could make a better version. Not that the old one isnt good, I just wanted something with more of a classic texture. So over the past year, every time I had a few ripe bananas, I would test different variations of this recipe. I had to make so many little tweaks here and there that I eventually lost count of how many times I made it, BUTit finally turned out PERFECT.
If youve baked vegan and gluten-free recipes that dont involve starches then you know things often turn out dense and gummy. I find myself running into that texture all of the time. UGH. Lets just say my goal in life is to avoid that outcome. When it finally happens I feel like screaming from the mountain tops.
Ingredients For This Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Ripe Bananas- You want them ripe so that they blend easily and offer up plenty of natural sweetness.
- Ground Flaxseed- combined with water it creates a flax egg
- Dairy-free Milk- any milk you prefer like almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk or even water
- Vanilla Extract- It adds delicious flavour to all baked goods, while its technically optional, I highly recommend including it.
- Vegan Butter- softened – use any brand you prefer
- Coconut Sugar- or you can substitute equal amounts organic cane sugar or brown sugar.
- Maple Syrup- it adds moisture, plus a little sweetness and also some delicious maple flavour
- Gluten Free Baking Flour blend- feel free to use any brand you like
- Buckwheat Flour- adds moistness to cakes and texture to the bread
- Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats- the oats are blended into fine oat flour which I love to bake with it – gives baked goods a super tender crumb. You can also just use oat flour if you have it available
- Baking Powder and Soda- I use both to balance out the acid in the recipe, create a golden brown color and add extra lift.
- Cinnamon + Salt- for flavour – feel free to vary the spices you add like nutmeg or all spice or more variations below
- Chocolate Chips- I used dark chocolate chips but feel free to use any vegan chocolate chips you prefer
Also Check: Yeast And Gluten Free Bread
How To Make Gluten
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
Mash the bananas then whisk together the mashed banana, avocado oil, vanilla extract and cider vinegar until well-combined.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, ground cinnamon and sea salt until well-combined.
If adding chocolate chips and/or nuts, add them to the flour mixture and stir until theyre evenly distributed throughout the dry mixture.
Pour the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture and stir until well-combined.
Transfer the banana bread batter to the parchment-lined pan and smooth it into an even layer. If youd like, you can sprinkle more nuts and/or chocolate chips on top.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the bread tests clean.
Allow the bread to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
This bread disappeared in less than 24 hours in my housemostly on account of the fact that my sweet partner has an incredible sweet tooth.
But also great taste in food! So this to say, Im willing to bet this loaf wont last long
How To Make It
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with the back of a fork. Leave the bananas as chunky or as smooth as you prefer. Whisk in the maple syrup and vegetable oil.
3. Add in the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Do not overmix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove the bread from the oven and gently pull on the two long sides of parchment to lift the loaf onto a cooling rack. Let rest before slicing.
6. Once cooled thoroughly, place the loaf in an airtight container or zip-top plastic freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Store at room temperature for a day, and then transfer to the freezer until a craving hits you.
Don’t Miss: Easy Recipe For Challah Bread
Why Youll Love This Vegan Banana Bread Whether Or Not Youre Vegan:
This is truly the best banana bread youll ever make, hands down, vegan or not. It tastes just like the one I grew up with: super moist with a soft crumb texture, full of extraordinarily ripe bananas and a caramelized sweetness from the granulated sugar or coconut sugar , and subtle notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla for extra warmth.
Like my vegan double chocolate banana bread and more summer-y vegan zucchini banana bread, you wont be able to resist. Its one of the best classic vegan breakfast recipes, and a wonderful dessert option on a cozy fall day.
This vegan banana bread recipe truly does taste just like the classic, so if you have some non-vegans stopping by for a bite to eat, know that you can serve this healthier banana bread without any doubt that its anything but the classic.
Thats how amazing this recipe is.
I know, a really bold statement to claim, and yes, Im sure that other vegan food bloggers have amazing banana bread recipes, but Im that confident that youll love this banana bread recipe as much as I do!
Which, if you couldnt tell, is a whole lot. Its made with simple vegan ingredients, comes together in just one bowl, and is the easiest vegan quick bread recipe to make when youve got to use up those ripe bananas!
Storing Freezing And Thawing Tips
- To store: You have two options with storing the banana bread- room temperature or the fridge. Personally, I go through an entire loaf of banana bread within 2 days, so keep it at room temperature, covered. However, if you prefer to enjoy the bread over a week, you MUST refrigerate it. Place it on a place and cover it with plastic wrap. This will keep the bread fresh for one week.
- To freeze: This banana bread is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer to enjoy at a later time. Frozen vegan banana bread will keep for 6 months.
- To thaw: Thaw banana bread at room temperature, or in the fridge overnight. If you prefer a warm slice of banana bread, I recommend either microwaving it for around 45 seconds, or in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes .
Read Also: Blue Buffalo Large Breed Senior
How To Make Vegan Banana Bread
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s also egg and dairy free, which means people with multiple allergies can enjoy it!
To replace the eggs, I’ve used two separate substitutes: bananas and a combination of bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar.
Bananas are a really common substitution for eggs, so using them in a banana bread recipe is a natural choice.
I also like to use a mixture of bicarb and apple cider vinegar, as these react to create a really light and fluffy egg replacement.
It stops the cake from being too stodgy and don’t worry – you can’t taste the vinegar at all.
I also used oil and a dairy free milk in this recipe to make it dairy free.
The dairy free milk also replaces some of the liquid element you’d usually get from the eggs, so you don’t have a super dry mixture.
How To Make Vegan Gluten
Banana bread is comfort food by excellence, and everyone deserves a piece. But banana bread can also be healthy, nourishing, and good for you.
This vegan, gluten-free banana bread with oat flour is the one that ticks all these boxes.
So if you are looking for a healthy vegan banana bread recipe to start the day, then this vegan banana oat bread is the one!
Oat flour, rolled oats, and nuts, this banana bread has all the healthy plant-based ingredients to supercharge your breakfast with:
Read Also: Gluten And Egg Free Bread
How To Make This Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread Recipe:
A Few Final Thoughts:
- As I have tested this recipe multiple times to ensure its deliciousness, I would strongly advise no flour substitutions. If you do decide to live life on the edge and do sometime differently though, please let me know in the comments below and I can update the recipe notes.
- The Almond Butter in this recipe is really crucial for adding moisture and allowing the batter to rise. Make sure you use one that is smooth and drippy, preferably with no added oils or sugar. This is my absolute favorite brand and I would highly recommend it.
Finally, if you make this recipe and decide to share it on or, dont forget to tag me @FromMyBowl + #FromMyBowl! I love seeing your delicious recreations
This Vegan Banana Bread is fluffy, gluten-free, and absolutely delicious. Plus, its actually healthy and you only need 9 ingredients to make it!
- Caitlin Shoemaker
- 3 Medium Bananas
- 2 1/2 cup Rolled Oats, divided
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Nut or Seed Butter*
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax OR Ground Chia Seeds + 6 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Recommended Reading: Bread And Butter Wine Cabernet Sauvignon